Press Release: It’s Cockfrock Time Again

Cockfrock, Cockermouth’s ever-popular fashion shopping extravaganza, is back!

The annual two-day sale of pre-loved, good-quality ladies’ fashion takes place at the town’s Kirkgate Centre later this month (Saturday, June 29 and Sunday, June 30).

The event is a chance for local people to find a buyer for items they no longer wear.

Anyone can sell their clothes and all sellers receive 70 per cent of the sale price with the remaining 30 per cent going towards fund-raising for the Kirkgate Centre.

Opening times on Saturday are 10.30am until 4pm and again from 7pm until late. Sunday’s session runs from 10am to 1pm.

Entry to each session is £2 (which includes automatic raffle entry) and tickets are available from the box office on 01900 826448 or online at Events for 29/06/2024 (

For the Saturday evening slot, free entry is being offered to all under 25s.

Kirkgate Centre General Manager Emma Heys said: “We’re delighted to play host once again to Cockfrock. It has become a big part of the town’s events calendar and many people look forward to it.

“According to research from Oxfam in 2023, if all UK adults bought half of their next wardrobe second-hand, it could prevent a whopping 12.5 billion kilogrammes of carbon dioxide emissions entering the atmosphere.

“This is the equivalent to a plane flying around the world more than 17,000 times, or 261,000 flights from London (Heathrow) to Greece (Athens).

“Re-selling pre-loved clothes therefore makes such a lot of sense, both in environmental and financial terms, particularly in the current economic climate. It’s also a lot of fun!”

The Cockfrock formula has proved so popular that a new event will be launched in September featuring pre-used sporting goods and equipment.

Kirk Kit will take place at the Kirkgate on September 27, 28 and 29.

Emma said: “Over the years of holding Cockfrock sales, we have had lots of people asking us why don’t we do the same for other items?

“We like to take the communities’ suggestions on board. Autumn is a great time for people to have a clear out of unused sporting goods.

“So have a think about the abandoned tent in the loft, unused skis in the garage, bike that is too small for your youngest, the gym kit purchased online that looked nothing like the picture when it arrived, the walking boots that you bought in the sale that gave you a blister every time you put them on.

“Registration costs £2 and we deal with all the selling over the weekend. The sellers get 70% of the value of the goods sold and any unsold items at the end of the weekend.”

For further details, contact the Kirkgate office on 01900 829966.



Kirkgate is a charity based in Cockermouth, Cumbria. It operates an arts and heritage centre as well as working with towns and villages in West Cumbria to encourage a diverse programme of arts, culture and entertainment. Its vision is to ensure that creative talent is valued, developed and supported with opportunities for all to engage actively with, and enjoy, the arts, local heritage and community life.

The Kirkgate Centre brings the best cultural, theatrical and entertainment events to Cumbria. From the best feature and documentary films to live streaming of top London shows, to local talent, heritage exhibitions, music, theatre, comedy and more, there is something for everyone.

In the historic Kirkgate Quarter of the Gem Town of Cockermouth, sitting on the edge of the Lake District National Park, the Kirkgate Centre is the perfect venue for special occasions, conferences, meetings, courses, exhibitions or private film screenings.

Kirkgate manages Arts Out West which stages performances in community venues from Furness to the Solway, ranging from nationally-recognised theatre companies to international musicians with events that are as much a social occasion as a performance. It is a member of the National Rural Touring Forum supported by Arts Council England as a National Portfolio Organisation.

Follow @kirkgatearts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

For more information:

Emma Heys 01900 829966

The Kirkgate Centre, Kirkgate, Cockermouth, CA13 9PJ